[XFree86] xkb trouble with Belgian keymap

Hey all,

I'm really getting desperate with my keyboard, and I was hoping that
someone here could finally help me out.

I run Debian (sid), and therefore XFree86 4.2.1. Until about a week ago,
my keyboard functioned quite properly. A minor problem was the fact that
I couldn't type a backslash using AltGr + the LESS/GREATER_THAN button
(which should be possible). Instead I was able to use AltGr + ), and I
could definitely live with that. Everything else was perfect.

Then, I learned somewhere that the solution to that tiny backslash
problem might be to

wget -O /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/be

from http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/xc/programs/xkbcomp/
symbols/pc/be

So I did. I could still slap myself in the face for that, because it
only made things worse. My AltGr just stopped functioning; I couldn't
use it anymore *at all*. Later on, the solution to the new problem *and*
the previous small problem was to do the same thing, but with an older
revision of the Belgian keyboard-mapping.

.../xc/programs/xkbcomp/symbols/pc/be?rev=1.3

Indeed, everything was perfect afterwards. Only, after I logged in the
next day, I was back to the second stage: no AltGr at all. Since that
moment, I've tried about everything I can think of. I've replaced the
Belgian keymap file with the original file from Debian's X, I've tried
both cvsweb-versions, all to no avail.

At this point, the original Debian file is in the symbols/pc directory,
but when I try to 'setxkbmap be' or even 'setxkbamp -rules xfree86
-model pc -layout be -option ""', all I get is the error "error loading
new keyboard description". I don't understand, and the error message
doesn't really give me a clue. Why would the original file, that has
been working almost perfectly before, all of a sudden yield errors??

I'm really out of ideas. My only option seems to be a complete new
install, but that is arguably not my favorite... Could anyone please
shed a light on this?

Thanks a lot...
Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."