Re: [XFree86] redhat 9 installation problems

David:

  I have Redhat 9.0 and nVidia FX5x00 running with full hardware
acceleration.  3D OpenGL test glxgears runs at 3200fps, Free86 works too.
This may work for you too:

  First, plug in any old PCI video card from pevious computer.  Install
Redhat 9.0 "everything".  Go ahead and let it config for the old PCI card.

  Login as root to perform these install procedures, and change your
/etc/inittab to id:3:initdefault (not id:5).

  Upgrade to glibc version 2.3.2-11.9 or higher.  The glibc on Rdhat 9.0 CDs
is "broken" (thread-local-storage Vs dlopen() shared lib access).  The nVidia
driver depends on this code to function properly.

  Go to:  https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2003-136.html
and download:
  glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm
  glibc-2.3.2-27.9.i686.rpm

  Go to:  http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
and download:
  NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run

  The nVidia corporation driver replaces some files.  If you want to be safe,
rename all these files to XXXfilename (for example).  Then, you can "back
out" if needed.  By * , I mean all files matching first part of the name.
  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx*
  /usr/lib/libGL*
  /usr/lib/libGLcore*
  /usr/lib/tls/libGL*
  /usr/lib/tls/libGLcore*

  Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config:
(under Section Module)
Remove:  Load "dri"
Remove:  Load "GLcore"
Add:  Load "glx"
(under Section "Device")
Change:  Driver "nv"
To:  Driver "nvidia"

  Install both Redhat RPMs, in order (rpm -i -v -h --replacefiles).  Now your
glibc can actually function properly with the nVidia driver (next).

  Finally, install the nVidia driver.  You must be at the command-line, not
in XFree86.  Use the command-line sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496.pkg2.run

  Shutdown, install nVidia card, reboot, making sure the BIOS detected the
card properly, and set BIOS as required, including AGP.

  After you reboot, use the command-line startx and everything should be
working well.  Open a terminal and use the command-line glxgears, also make
sure that xmms works and that OpenOffice works.  If so, you are done!

  Also thanks to Mark for the best clues!

Cheers,
Michael  - Graphics & Engineering  http://www.bowlvisions.com/

the System:
OS:  Redhat 9.0 / kernel 2.4.20-6 / XFree86 4.3.0-2 / glibc-2.3.2-27.9
CPU:  Intel P4 / 2.60cGHz / 800MHz system bus
Board:  Intel D865 PERLK / 1GB PC3200 DDR Memory
Discs:  WD 120MB UATA 100 Hard drive / Sony CDRW 52-24-52
Sound:  Creative Audigy 2
Graphics:  ASUS V9560VS - 128MB using nVidia FX5600
Video BIOS version: 04.31.20.28.00
Video driver version: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run

--- thread follows ---