[XFree86] Re: ATi Radeon TV output

Use the GATOS drivers:  http://gatos.sf.net

>So anyway, what I really want to know is, does anyone know where to
>get documentation on Radeon programming, so that I can add this
>functionality?

In general, you dont.  The longer answer is that you need to
apply to become a member of ATI developer relations first, and be
granted member status.  Unless you're working for a company
shipping a commercial product or doing official video driver work
or similar, or are a game developer or similar, you probably wont
be accepted into developer relations as you're not likely to be
classified as a developer.  If you do get accepted as a
developer, you have some access to ATI developer documentation,
however you wont get access to video chipset register level
programming documentation likely unless you can demonstrate an
important need for such documentation which nobody in the OSS
community who already has the documentation hasn't already been
working on.

As stated above, the GATOS project's ATI video drivers support TV
out, as does the atitvout program, there may be others.  In
short, there is enough public information about enabling TVout on
ATI video hardware, that IMHO you would be very unlikely to
acquire documentation from ATI on this as the information is
already public via these projects.

>I tried mailing ATI, but it has been a couple of weeks and they
>haven't responded (isn't that actually pretty bad?)

I don't think it's bad at all.  I have no idea how many incoming
emails or phone calls ATI might get from random unknown
developers wanting to have their technical specifications, but
if I had to guess, I'd say it's rather high. If they had to pay
someone to answer the telephone or respond to every one of the
incoming emails in detail, and then follow up on the likely
useless flamewar thread that would ensue with the handful of
people upset they were being refused access to the documentation
it would probably cost them at least one person or more's annual
salary just for the purpose of saying "sorry, but no.".  In such
cases, it's IMHO easier to just ignore people completely than it
is to argue with them, about something you know your answer
firmly already about.

>so I was hoping that the original developers of the Radeon
>driver would share with me where they got the docs.

>From ATI by becoming a member of the XFree86 project (back when
membership was required in XFree86 to be a developer), and then
after that, becoming a member of ATI developer relations.
However someone wanting the docs for something that already
exists or is already being worked on is likely to be refused
access.  In the case of TVout, it already exists - you just
didn't do your homework hard enough.

>Also, I've heard of this Gatos project, but last time I checked,
>they only supported TV DACs that were not part of the core
>Radeon chip (which is, unfortunately, not my case). Now that I'm
>sending this mail anyway, does anyone know their progress? Or,
>does anyone know any other projects similar to Gatos?

"Last time you checked" seems to suggest you don't check the
GATOS project very often.  GATOS supports pretty much every piece
of hardware to which any documentation has ever been provided
for, as well as much reverse engineering.  If ATI would consider
giving anyone any documentation that hasn't been released
already, they'd most likely give it to developers who already
have NDA agreements in place, such as the GATOS developers, or
DRI developers.  I think the general concensus out there is that
there are enough developers who already have any documentation
there is to have, that any features that are unsupported yet, can
be supported by existing developers who have the docs.  If nobody
has docs for something in particular, the only people likely to
get them are people already under NDA.

Of course, this is just my opinion based on my own observations.
I have no idea what the official criterion is which decides who
will officially get NDA access to the documentation of ATI's
video hardware.  I've got the doc under NDA for up to R200
chipsets, and if there were newer docs available, I'd probably be
able to request them myself.  I don't see any newer docs being
available, so I think it's a waste of time for people not already
under NDA to bother asking.  Best thing to do is join the GATOS
project, or some other project already doing this, than to try to
startup your own new project.

I wouldn't bother waiting for a response from ATI though.  Quite
frankly if I were ATI and getting hundreds of requests which I
wasn't going to say yes to, at some point I'd just start ignoring
them as incoming spam, or sending out autoresponders "Thanks for
emailing us, we can't respond individually to people due to the
volume of email we receive, please visit our website at
http://blah to see what is available."

But that's just me...

:o)

--