[XFree86] Re: compiled XFree 4.30 on RH8, but fonts are ugly now

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Brujus wrote:

>Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:50:39 +0100
>From: Brujus <brujus.tantra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: compiled XFree 4.30 on RH8, but fonts are ugly now
>
>Hi, i use RedHat 8.0, compiled XFree 4.30 sources, everything went
>smoothly, installed it, everything ok again, checked the XFree86.0.log,
>everything seems ok, X starts normally, but the fonts are ugly now,
>antialiasing seems disabled. I even tried to compile FreeType 2.1.4
>afterwards, thinking that it could be any freetype related issue, but no
>(and when i turn off antialiasing at KDE3 it gets even worse). Anyone
>has any clues/tips?

Red Hat XFree86, freetype, Xft, etc. is modified with various
enhancements which dramatically improve font display quality.  If
you recompile any of those components from stock sources, you
lose those improvements.  Hopefully these improvments will be
approved in the next major releases of the upstream freetype,
Xft, etc. components and no longer require special patches to
achieve these results.

In the mean time, the easiest and best way to get 4.3.0 running
on Red Hat Linux 8.0, is to recompile the 4.3.0 src.rpm from
rawhide, which I intentionally keep it so it works on Red Hat
Linux 8.0 and newer.

To do this, you need to:

Take expat, ttmkfdir, freetype, fontconfig src.rpm from RHL 9,
and rpm --rebuild each one of them in RHL 8.0.  Upgrade each
binary package they produce including the -devel packages.
ttmkfdir will probably not allow you to install it so leave it
alone for now.

Now install the rawhide XFree86 4.3.0 src.rpm with rpm -ivh.
Then go into the spec file directory and edit XFree86.spec, near
the top you'll find a lengthy comment discussing the build_nnnnn
target options.  You will want to set build_psyche to 1 (Red Hat
Linux 8.0), which then sets various conditionals throughout the
build process to tweak for RHL 8.0.  Set all other build_nnnn
options to 0 to disable them.  Then edit the Release: line, and
add your initials to the end after a ".", ie: "Release: 41.bt" to
indicate it's your custom build.  That does 3 things:

1) It allows you to upgrade to the new packages with rpm easily
2) It allows you to easily upgrade from this build to the next
   build later on.
3) Easily differentiates between an official Red Hat build and
   your custom build.

Once XFree86 is built (it takes 1-2Gb of free disk space), you
should upgrade to it where the binaries got put, by using:

	rpm -Uvh XFree86-*.rpm ttmkfdir*.rpm

As long as you're running the latest Red Hat official kernel
update, you'll also end up with DRI working without any fuss.

If you have previously installed XFree86 compiled from raw
sources however, you'll have one problem.  If you try to install
the newly built XFree86 rpms as above and receive an error
concerning /etc/X11/xkb, then do the following:

	rm /etc/X11/xkb
	rm -rf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
	rpm -Uvh XFree86-*.rpm ttmkfdir*.rpm

That should resolve the conflict, and allow X to be installed
cleanly.  If you have problems, feel free to ask for more help on
xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx as numerous users are there who have used
my special instructions above and got it running nicely.  I'm
also on the list and will help if I see the post and have time.

Hope this helps,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris