Re: [XFree86] Dell Inspiron 8600

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Hans Dahle wrote:

> I've installed Gentoo on my (new) Dell inspiron 8600. The laptop has a
> 1680x1050, 15.4" display, and Nvidia Geforce FX 5650 Go card. When I run
> 'xf86cfg', or 'startx' with a XF86Config file made from the example + some
> copy'n'past from examples that have gotten the 15.4" display working, the
> screen get all messed up, can't make anything out of it, and if I change to
> a system console I the screen still got some light blue (cyane?) small bars
> over it, but I can read what it says. To get it away I have to do a reboot.
>

> I've search through google with almost every possible search phrase. Found
> some examples on the config file with the exact same screen (WXSGA+), only
> difference that they're running redhat. I've tried to copy the whole and/or
> parts of it (device, monitor etc.)
>

> Tried to install redhat 9, to see what config file it made for the
> installation process. Copied it over to my system and tried running it, with
> the same result as above.
>

> Have installed the latest nvidia driver.
>
> XFree 4.3.0
>

> So if anyone has a solution to my problem I'd be extremely happy.

   You can run the "nv" driver that came with XFree86 4.3.0.  It
should work OK.  If it doesn't let me know.  It's usually just a
matter of tweaking an XF86Config file option if it doesn't
"just work" (sometimes it picks the wrong head and you have to
specify the "CrtcNumber" option as specified in the nv man page).

			Mark.