[XFree86] Re: AW: Adding new monitor info in old XFree

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Oliver Schallehn wrote:

>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:31:35 +0200
>From: Oliver Schallehn <o.schallehn@xxxxxx>
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: AW: Adding new monitor info in old XFree
>
>Thanks very much. Yes, that seems to be sufficient.
>
>I chose the generic LCD and 60Hz entry, then adjusted the Hor and Vert
>entries.
>
>This worked.
>
>Regarding the other question: When or how is the list of available monitors
>being updated? Is there any chance doing this by downloading data or is this
>automatically delivered with a new release?
>
>Not that important, but if someone knows...

XFree86 does not have a list of monitors included with it at all.
The database of Monitors is something which Red Hat ships with
our OS products, and other vendors and distributions might ship
with theirs as well however.

I maintain the MonitorsDB database in Red Hat Linux, and plan on
turning it into a more public project in the future, which
hopefully will benefit the entire community rather than every
distribution maintaining their own database privately.  My goal
is for different distributions and/or individual contributors to
submit new monitor information into the core hardware database
project and then everyone can pull the information from there.
Currently this project is video-hwdata on sourceforge, and will
include also a more modern replacement for the "Cards" and other
databases as well.  The project is in its infancy currently
however so there isn't much to see there yet.  I'll be working on
it over the next 6-8 months and hope to have something useful by
the time people are shipping 4.4.0.

For the mean time however, to update your MonitorsDB database,
submit a bug report to your particular Linux distribution vendor
via their bug tracker.  In your bug report, include the complete
details of your monitor/display, and it is best if you include a
copy of the Microsoft Windows .INF file from the manufacturer of
the monitor, as we have tools which can scan the .INF file and
generate the necessary database lines for all monitors the .INF
file lists all at once.

Hope this helps.
TTYL

--