[XFree86] kdrive/tinyx and DPMS screen blanking

Hi

I've just swiched from a regular X server to tinyx/kdrive (xfbdev on linux
2.2.18, neomagic video), and I can't get DPMS to work like before.

At a minimum, I want to be able to call "xset dpms force off" and have the
backlight in my lcd turn off to prolong its life.

Here's what I get:
# xset dpms force off
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  137 (DPMS)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (DPMSForceLevel)
  Serial number of failed request:  9

#xset -q
<snip>
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Display is not capable of DPMS
<snip>

I get the same results with an Xvesa kdrive server.

Have I done something wrong, or is this not supposed to work with kdrive?

If not, is there some other way to achieve the same thing, maybe at the
framebuffer driver level?

Thanks,
Greg