Re: [XFree86] Multihead card recommendation

Both xfree86 cvs and DRI CVS contain both the 2D windowing system and
the DRI for 3D.  Xfree86 focuses on developing X in general, while the
DRI project focuses on 3D.

I'm committed mergedfb to DRI CVS.  mergedfb will give you 3D on both
heads of a dualheaded card.

You can also grab nightly snapshots from the DRI here:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/

Alex

---------------------------------

William Gallafent wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Alon Weinstein wrote:
>

>>William Gallafent wrote:
>>
>>>ATI Radeon (but not the very newest ones). You'll need a recent
>>>version of XFree86, ideally from the DRI tree, and then you can
>>
>>"the DRI tree"? I checked-out CVS using "cvs checkout xf" --
>>is that OK, or is there a better branch to get for Radeon
>>dual-head cards? (though it *is* working for me right now, I'm
>>wondering if I could get it to work better)
>

> I assume you mean you checked out of XFree86 CVS ...

naturally, where else can you do a 'checkout' from? :)

> The answer probably depends on whether or not you use 3D
> acceleration! As far as I know (and I haven't been keeping
> myself up to date very well) there is a lot of activity on the
> dri project improving 3d acceleration for Radeons.
>
> If you just want 2D, then XFree86 snapshots or CVS are fine. If
> you want faster 3D, though, then try
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/. I think the mergedfb patch (for
> accelerated 3D) is now integrated with DRI too, again making
> this look like the easiest option.

Do you mean that the DRI CVS holds the complete source for XF86 + DRI?
So I can only checkout from DRI and "make World" from their sources to
have X + DRI?