Re: [XFree86] Multihead card recommendations

William Gallafent wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Alon Weinstein wrote:

William Gallafent wrote:

ATI Radeon (but not the very newest ones). You'll need a recent
version of XFree86, ideally from the DRI tree, and then you can

"the DRI tree"? I checked-out CVS using "cvs checkout xf" -- is that OK, or is there a better branch to get for Radeon dual-head cards? (though it *is* working for me right now, I'm wondering if I could get it to work better)

I assume you mean you checked out of XFree86 CVS ...

naturally, where else can you do a 'checkout' from? :)

The answer probably depends on whether or not you use 3D
acceleration! As far as I know (and I haven't been keeping
myself up to date very well) there is a lot of activity on the
dri project improving 3d acceleration for Radeons.

If you just want 2D, then XFree86 snapshots or CVS are fine. If
you want faster 3D, though, then try
http://dri.sourceforge.net/. I think the mergedfb patch (for
accelerated 3D) is now integrated with DRI too, again making
this look like the easiest option.

Do you mean that the DRI CVS holds the complete source for XF86 + DRI? So I can only checkout from DRI and "make World" from their sources to have X + DRI?