[XFree86] thinkpad 560e

I've tried sending this to the list with both the log and config file
attached, but it hasn't made it yet.  So I'm trying again with only the
log file.  (no bounce or anything either)  Config file available by
request. :)

I, like several other people are having a problem with xfree86 on an
IBM ThinkPad 560e.

I've had it working with and old version of xfree86 (3.x) so I know it
has worked in the past.
But due to a hard drive failure, I decided to update.
I've tried it with 4.3.1 with updated files from Alan's site, but I
didn't get that to work.

So due to other reasons, I decided to rebuild the machine again.
So I installed:
1. Debian stable (fairly minimal + C dev for now + custom 2.4.21 kernel)
2. xfree86 from cvs
It's still not working:
Either:
1. Black screen with flickering horizonal line in the middle and top of
   the screen
2. Vertical multi-colored lines (with flickering horiz line)
3. Vertical white lines (with flickering horiz line)

I know in the past I've also tried an external monitor and I couldn't
 seem to get it to work either.

Attached are a log file and my config file:
based on xfree86 -configure
+noaccel
+few changes (copied out of someone elses config) to try to use 800x600
 rather than 640x480

I've several people saying there having problems and a resolved issue in
the bugzilla so if anyone has gotten this to work please let me know.

Thanks for any help you can give me and feel free to ask if you either
need more info or if you want to to check something.