[XFree86] Probably Lost Window Manager [was SOLUTION: ATI: no screens available RedHat 9.00 (and d other problems)]

Solomon -- I'm looking back at your original post and it looks like you probably overwrote some Gnome (or KDE) configuration files.  It sounds like when you start your machine you're loading twm (see if you've got a process that ends in "wm" -- it's the window manager).

You need to configure your system to start another window manager. That's beyond the scope of this document but I'l lhelp you if you AIM me.

kalarmd is probably KDE Alarm Clock Daemon

Paul

Solomon I. Shorser wrote:

"Risenhoover, Paul" wrote:

Hi Solomon,

Who's to say?  Those drivers are built each night from cvs.  So if you

check bugzilla (  http://bugs.xfree86.org/query.cgi ) for your problem,

find it, and it's marked RESOLVED, and the problem was with the driver,

then it could help.

What kind of card is it and what message are you getting?  My ATI

Mobility 4 is working with hardware acceleration.

It's an ATI Radeon 7000. Every web page I've seen says this card is

supported.

The exact problems I'm experiencing were in an eariler post of mine,

from a few

days ago. There's no error messages. The most annoyinf problem is that

when I

re-installed X, I somehow overwrote some important configuration

files,but I've

not sure which ones or how to restore them. It is affecting my login

screen, it

looks like crap. Another unusual bug has to do with the fact that ever

since I

reinstalled X, I have a process known as kalarmd that is running the CPU

at max

(or close to maximum) load. Not sure what this process is for or why it

suddenly

decided it needed all those CPU cycles.

As far as 3d acceleration, I tried installing DRI, it didn't work (I

kept getting segfault erros with glxgears). I went

through all the trouble shooting tips, none seem to work.

thanks,

sol

I'll have to try again when I get home tonight