Re: [XFree86] XFree86-4.3.99.14 via driver

> P. S. I'm trying for a while (newbie linux user) to compile new kernel
> with xfree to get 2d accel. Can you send me descrition how to properly
> configure kernel and xfree to make it work??

Normally you shouldn't have to do anything special for 2d accel. You just
need to make sure you don't use the "NoAccel" option in /etc/X11/XF86Config
for the card device (generally this is never set anyway) and of course your
graphics card and/or driver must support acceleration at the given
resolution/color depth (8, 16, 24, 32). For example, I have a viao laptop
and I only get accelerated support with color depths of 8 and 16 but not 24.
If you look in the Xserver log file (generally found at
/var/log/XFree86.0.log) it will tell you if accelerated features are
available. Some things that can help are to increase the BIOS setting for
AGP aperture size so that it is more than the video ram on your graphic
card. The kernel should also be compiled with MTRR support, but if you are
using a standard kernel, this will be the case by default.

As regards 3d acceleration, that's a whole different ball-park. You need to
configure the kernel with agpart support and dri support. If you go to
www.xfree86.org and drill down to the documentation section, you'll find
plenty of information about getting this up and working.

Hope this helps,

Marc