[XFree86] problem with S3 Savage driver and Envision LCD monitor

All,

I just installed Red Hat Linux 9 and run into the following issue.

Whenever there is a horizontal sync rate and vertical refresh rate in
/etc/X11/XF86Config specified, I only get a 'Input not supported' on my
display.
Graphic Board is a S3 ProSavage chip
  (www.shuttle.com, XPC model SK41G with VIA KM266/VT8375 integrates a full
featured S3 ProSavage8 128-bit 2D/3D AGP controller, 32MB).
Monitor is an Envision Flat Panel
  (www.envisionmonitor.com) 5200
(http://198.65.239.165/envision/manuals/EN-5200e_ei.pdf).

The monitors default mode is 1024x768 at 60Hz. I am checking the X servers
log file, and in it, it refuses the default mode because of either hsync out
of range or vrefresh out of range. If I force it to 1024x768, I can see in
the log file that it picks this mode (chose 1024x768 at 60Hz), however I am
getting the 'Input not supported' msg on my display.

If I do not specify a horizontal sync rate and vertical refresh rate, X
server picks 640x480.
All this happens at a set default color depth of 24.

Note: The settings work fine under Windows 2000, the monitor is running in
True Color at 60Hz horiz, 48 kHz vertical.

Any idea how to configure XF86Config to make my monitor work in a resolution
other than 640x480.
I already tried a lot of settings without any luck.

Help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Axel

axel.ulrich@xxxxxxxxxxx or axel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx