Re: [XFree86] Fatal Server Error

From: "Douglas Pike" <dpike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [XFree86] Fatal Server Error
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:15:00 -0700

I am getting a strange error that says "Cannot move old logfile "/var/log/XFree86.0.log.old" This happens when trying to log on as a user. root is ok. I am running a Dell 2650 Server Dual 3.02 Ghz proc 4GB RAM, Mandrake 9.1. If anyone can help please let me know.

Thanx,
Douglas Pike

This probably means that the file belongs to root and its permissions have been set so that root can read-write the file. You have to do a chmod command to change its permissions.
Logina s root and type the following command:
%: chmod 777 /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old

this will change its permissions so that everybody is able to read, write and execute it. I thinkt hat some people prefer to change its permissions to 755 ebcause 777 can lead to some security loop holes or something... Not too sure about that but try it anyway!

;)

e-regular