[XFree86] Bad Mistake

Aloha again,
With some welcome help from several folks in this group I was successful in getting my new Linux box (with Asus P4P800 board and Nvidia GEFORCE-FX video card) up and working perfectly. The startx command brought up the GNOME desktop and all was well - Then I made a very bad decision - I downloaded 'Yahoo Messenger' for RH8 from the Yahoo site, while in my root account in RH9! Yes I know this was really dumb. The next day and evry day since, every time I type in 'startx' while in 'root' I get no gui but rather a notice -- "waiting for X server to shut down". Also get instructions to look at /var/log/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Config. I can find no errors listed and everything looks normal. The GOOD news is that when I set up a new user account for myself everything works great. (I have Not downloaded 'ymessenger' again.) I did remove all references to 'ymessenger' in root - ls and others in /usr. But still I can not get the gui to come up with startx from root and continue to get the "waiting for... etc. page. Anyone know how I can get my root account back to normal? I am willing to suffer a few 'slings and arrows' for my poor decision making in the process of getting some help. Thanks - jared
<jarlynne@xxxxxxxx>