Re: [XFree86] XFree86.0.log made at first boot crash

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 06:41:23PM +0200, Henk wrote:

>Hopefully you can give me a response on this. The crash is at my first
>install during first boot. The boot floppy made during install can't find
>the linux RedHat 8 installation, so I can't make any changes to drivers or

you should make a new boot floppy when you fix all this.

>whatever. I also have the Knoppix 3.2 cd, but it's not possible with
>knoppix to make changes to the XF86Config file. Below I copied the

yes it can, try

mount -oremount,rw /dev/hda1

or whatever your partitions is, the knoppix defaults to mounting read
only, see /etc/fstab for the mount options it uses.

>XFree86.0.log, I hope you can give me advice on this.

you don't want x to startup at boot if you are working on x, edit the
/etc/inittab file so the line that looks like this, has a 3 (not 5) in
it. (mine is a different distro so might be slightly different)

id:3:initdefault:

also you should be able to specify runlevel 3 (no x) at the bootup, if I
recall grub: edit the boot options (e), select the line that specifies a
kernel, edit (e), add a "3" at the end, end edit (esc), then boot (b).

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx