[XFree86] RE: XFree86 error

Hi, Sir,

This is Jason. This afternoon I ran into X window configuration problem when I attempted to install Redhat 9.0 in HP Kayak XU800 machine. Please see the attached log file.

In my initial installation, I did not select X11 package except Gnome. The installation was successful. But the startup did not give me Gnome GUI. Then I changed default runlevel from 3 to 5, and rebooted. Again I could not get X window. The following error message showed up in run level 5 from time to time:

INIT: Id "X" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 miniutes.

At this point, I thought it might because I missed X11 package during my installation. Therefore I upgraded the installation
by adding the X11 component. The upgrade was successful but I still could not get Gnome GUI. Finally I decided to configure X from the shell. I tried XFree86 command but ended up with fatal error: no screen found.

I have successfully installed Redhad Linux 6.0, 7.2, 7.3 and 9.0 in the past. With Redhat version 9.0, I succeeded in installation in  Dell PowerEdge 1600SC. Only one difference is probably that I did pick up X11 package  at the first place of that installation. But now I have no clue about this error. Is it caused by installation procedure or my video card or other problem? Please advise.

Thanks,

Jason