Re: [XFree86] very bad mistake

jared & ailene wrote:

Aloha again,
With some welcome help from several folks in this group I was successful in getting my new Linux box with Asus P4P800 board
and Nvidia GEFORCE-FX video card up and working. The startx command brought up the GNOME desktop and all was well - then I made a very bad move. I downloaded 'Yahoo Messenger' for
Red Hat8 (from the Yahoo site) while in my root account in RH9.
Yes I know, this was really dumb! The next day I typed in 'startx' after my root login - No gui, No Gnome just a notice of-
"waiting for X server to shut down". Also instructions to look at
/var/log/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Config. There are no errors
listed and every thing looks normal. The good news is that I created
a new user account and everything still works perfectly when I startx
from that new account. I removed all references to 'ymessenger' that I could find (whereis..) one from root-ls and others in /usr. Still
unable to get startx to work. Feeling very humble at the moment.
Anyone have any idea of how I can get my root account back to normal?
Thanks, jared <jarlynne@xxxxxxxx>

in redhat try running: redhat-config-xfree86. follow the gui and this will rebuild the XF86Config. also, try restarting your x font server with /etc/init.d/xfs restart if you see any log messages about fonts not being found. also, i assume you are using the nvidia propietary drivers. you can try running the sh ./NVIDIA-*.run script again to rebuild the kernel module. i really don't understand y yahoo messenger would mess up your x configuration. sounds like bad joo-joo. i think you can use gaim with plugins to do all types of IM'ing in linux without this crap happening to you.

cheers,
bill.