Re: [XFree86] No signal to external VGA port

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Wolle wrote:

> On Thursday 11 September 2003 19:48, Mark Vojkovich wrote:
> > but the hotkey switching still isn't likely to work.  NVIDIA's binary
> > Linux drivers probably work better in this regards, since there is
> > a kernel module there.
>
> I can live without hotkeying. My Problem is the never working CRT in X. Maybe
> I have a problem in understanding the XF86Config:
>
> I define my LCD in a monitor section
> I define my CRT in a 2nd monitor section
>
> I define my Chipset in a device section
>
> I define how to use the monitors connected to the device in a screen section
> (both monitors in one section? maybe, because they must use same color depth.
> On the other hand XFree claims about trying to use the device twice, if I
> define two screen sections)
>
> Now to enable them:
> The 'man XF86Config' in 'DEVICE SECTION' says:
>        Screen  number
>               This option is mandatory for cards where a single PCI entity can
>               drive more than one display (i.e., multiple CRTCs sharing a sin-
>               gle  graphics accelerator and video memory).  One Device section
>               is required for each head, and this parameter  determines  which
>               head  each  of the Device sections applies to.  The legal values
>               of number range from 0 to one less  than  the  total  number  of
>               heads  per entity.  Most drivers require that the primary screen
>               (0) be present.
> Looks good, this seems to be my case.

   That is not your case, you are only using one display.  You should
not have a Screen number in the device section.

> I played a bit around with:
> >   Option "CrtcNumber" "0"
> >   Option "FlatPanel" "0"
> and modified the parameters, but I had no luck with it. Is there any
> documentation? The man page says nothing about this.

   Those are in the man page.  Perhaps your man pages aren't up to date.
You are using 4.3.0 right?

   In the simplest case you just take a working config that uses
the flat panel and add those options.  "CrtcNumber" specifies which
output to use.  I think "1" ends up being the panel and "0" is the
external connector on most laptops.  Setting "FlatPanel" to "0" tells
it to ignore that it sees a flat panel connected and to treat it
like a CRT.

			Mark.