Re: [XFree86] Fw: Black Screen and Mouse Pointer - May Be Permission's

On 11 Sep, dsavard@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Help with running;
>
> I have a DELL 1600 Server with an ATI RADEON XL   onboard video controler
> and an older IBM Monitor.
>
> When letting the system "do its thing" on bootup, I get a blue background
> and mouse cursor - no login promt.
>
> If I login as a user and run startx from a terminal screen - I only get
> the blue background and the mouse cursor.
>
> If I login as root and run startx I get the full GUI.  However, when
> "login out" I get kicked back to the console prompt.
>
> I would like a GUI login screen be defualt and come up at boot and have
> user accounts able to log into the GNOME Desktop.

What you want is "xdm" for the GUI login.

Since you appear to be running Red Hat, I suggest checking the Red Hat
configuration instructions for whether a simple setup issue is at fault.
I'm not a Red Hat user, but I've seen enough of it to know that they do
have some reasonable GUI oriented setup tools, do support xdm, and do
have sensible defaults.

Or check out google for more do it yourself type instructions like:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/nielsen.xdm.html

That may give you enough hints and pointers that you can find the
problem file(s).

R Horn