[XFree86] Alternate keymappings

I really need to use a 122key keyboard ( for tn5250).

Per xdev, some of the keys are not mapped. X either does nothing
or keysyms them to another key.

I don't have this problem on the linux console, it sees all scancodes
and I can map them to anything I want.
But X has this very complicated layer wherby it does not deal with all possible
scancodes.

I'v e been picking at the source for a week and have been able to look
at scancodes in xf86Events.c  but the logic of what to do next eludes me.
There are SO MANY files in so many directories involved I'm overwhelmed.
If I could keycodes for all scancodes I could go from there.
Any suggestions?  Thanks.