[XFree86] BIOS update breaks X in Dell Inspiron

Hi, the problem I have is not specifically with Xfree86, so please excuse me if this message is out of place; but I
am asking because I am seeking help in any location where I might even have a slight chance of solving it.

There was an update in the Dell Inspiron BIOS from A06 to A21 and A22. This update sets the videoram to 1MB in
the BIOS. I can no longer get 1024*768 at 16bits. The only way to get 1024*768 is to set the color depth to
8bits. Unfortunately it seems that downgrading the BIOS to version A06 [The working BIOS] is not possible.I
realize this is not a problem with XFree86 per say but I was wondering if it would somehow be possible to fix this
with X without updating the BIOS. I do not know if Dell will even bother to fix this broken BIOS, if it does not I
really have no idea what to do next, it only leaves me with the option of getting a new laptop or hoping that the
drivers for the intel 845 get updated to accomadate for this case.

Once again I am sorry if this is offtopic and does not belong in this mailing list. Any and all help is appreciated,
thank you.

SIZE does matter - The UK's biggest *Free* Web based mail - 10 MB Free
mail.lycos.co.uk