Re: [XFree86] Combining characters

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> Now, if I want to render the character 51 of X, in place of the
> composite character 4001+4010, how should I proceed?  Is there a way to
> map unicode sequences to actual (physical) fonts.  Prefarably in the
> form:

I don't think there is a general X way of doing it.

You can do it manually in your own programs... or you can take a look at
Pango and perhaps modify one of the Indic shapers:

http://www.pango.org/

This homepage is not updated anymore since Pango is no longer a
blue-sky research project but a standard component of GTK+.

http://www.gtk.org/

OpenType probably has a way of handling it - but that would only work for
programs that use OpenType...  That would be Pango again ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/tt/tt.htm
http://www.adobe.com/type/opentype/main.html
http://www.agfamonotype.com/software/opentype.asp
http://www.freetype.org/opentype/