Re: [XFree86] Need help with ATI Radeon 9200

On 06 Sep 2003 00:05:31 -0500
David Loszewski <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just bought a ATI Radeon 9200, XFree86.org says that XFree86 4.3.0
> will handle any radeon card however I can't get mine to work correctly
> under FreeBSD 4.8 or 5.1.  The only driver I could get it to work with
> is the "vesa" driver, and as you can image it looks like crap. Could
> someone provide me with some inside on this problem? I'd really rather
> prefer not returning this card. ATI has a driver for this card on
> their list for Linux but nothing for FreeBSD.  Someone out there must
> have gotten this working by now. Any help you can provide would be
> much appreciated.
>
> thx,
> Dave
=====================

Dave,

I just purchased this card today and am finding it a challenge
as well, but thru perseverance, it came alive tonite.  Man, is it sweet
too, I'm liking it a lot, but I still have some bugs to work out.

I went with the new ATI drivers, because even if you get it working with
just XFree86, you still have to create the kernel module for 3D work.
That was the part that threw me in the beginning and as it turned out, I
had a buggy gcc installed.  Replaced that with a known working build and
off everything went.

If you just want 2D for the moment, then build the latest XFree86 as I
am pretty sure it works well for that.  XFree developers, correct me if
I am mistaken.  If you want the 3D though as well, then that is only
available from ATI for now, I believe.

Patrick

--
          ---SuSE Linux v8.2 Pro---