[XFree86] color depth adjustment problem

Hi,
I have RHL 8.0 installed on my machine and I am trying to change the color depth to 8 bit for running xwinnmr and I am using the following command :
redhat-config-xfree86

Now when I change the color depth it says that I have to restart the xserver by logging out for the change to take place. When I log back again the color depth doesn't changes and remains the same. Can anyone explain what is causing this problem or if anyone has been through the similar issue before?
Thanks
--Rajat