Re: [XFree86] Keyboard configuration for Alt chars

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 2:52, Ph Legay wrote:
> I have installed the mandrake 9.1 on my Macintosh (Of course this
> distribtion has a XFREE 4.3 environment).
>
> But I have no # { [ | \ with my keyboard. In a tty console (CTL+ALT+F1),
> I succeed to modify my keyboard configuration, But nothing with the X
> Keyboard.

The keyboard maps for the different consoles (ctrl+alt+F1, +F2, etc) are
different from the keyboard maps for X. I don't know about Mandrake, but for
Debian, the console keymaps are stored in /usr/share/keymaps and the
configured keymap is stored in /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz.

For X, there are two ways to configure keymaps, Xkb and the legacy core Xlib.
XFree86 4.3 defaults to Xkb, so I'll assume that's what you are trying to
configure.

The Xkb files are kept in either /etc/X11/xkb or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb.

However, xmodmap does things with a different syntax to Xkb.

> I try a lot of things (create my own rule, so no keyboard, CTL+ALT does
> not work, ...), but it seems to difficult for me, without any tutorial.
> I can access to the Xkeyboard protocol PDF file.
>
> So today I have a keyboard, I can modify the mapping of the key 5 : ( +
> 5 to a + 5, but no braceleft char.

I assume by this that your keyboard has a key that is engraved with a '5', a
'+', a '(', and a ':'  -- is this true? It seems from what you say below that
the key has a '5', a '(', a '[', and a '{'.

> Questions
> ---------
> a) Is there a tutorial to understand the rule file ?

The best place to understand all the Xkb files is normally at
www.charvolant.org/~doug/xkb/html/ but it seems to be down a lot recently.

> b) Is there a tutorial to build a keyboard mapping ?

No. Do you want to build an Xkb key symbol file, or an .Xmodmap file?

> c) In my symbol file, there is "key => ( 5 braceleft braketleft". Why
> can not obtain the braceleft char ? I kown (I see by typping) that the
> first column is for normal char, the second column is for the shift
> char. What for are the third and the fourth column ? In other word,
> whare is the modifier order ?

What file do you see this line? For Xkb, I would expect to see:

key <AE05> { [ 5, parenleft, braceleft, bracketleft ] };

In this case, '5' is a simple press, '(' is Shift+5,  '{' is
ISO_Level3_Shift+5, and '[' is Shift+ISO_Level3_Shift+5.

However, in Xfree86 4.2 (and similar to xmodmap) the following happens:

key <AE05> { [ 5, parenleft ], [ braceleft, bracketleft ] };

In this case, 5' is a simple press, '(' is Shift+5,  '{' is
Mode_level+5, and '[' is Shift+Mode_level+5.

Confused? It's confusing. What has probably happened is that your AltGr key
(which often gets the third char) is configured to Mode_shift, but XFree86
4.3 expects ISO_Level3_Shift to be used.

> When I solve my keyboard tty problem, I read a document that explain
> each column. The keyboard mapping is an array the first char is for
> normal char, the second for shift char, ... and if you want a char in
> the last column, you can introduce voidsymbol for the useless column.

When it's back online, the above Xkb doc explains these.

> d) how to active the third and the fourth column for each char ?

See above explaination.

> e) Can I create new modifers ? (I try an xkbcomp does not like)

You can't invent a new "Legays_special_modifier" symbol. You can use the Super
and Hyper symbols to do what you want.

> f) Is the order of modifiers fixed ?

Sometimes. In order to get the 3rd engraved symbol, yes, you can use only the
proper one. Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand.

> g) My distribution has no xev ? Where can I found it ? (I want to check
> if the modifiers are generated)

I imagine mandrake has it in a package on the CD. Ask at one of the Mandrake
forums.

> h) I read that there is some graphical interface for xmodmap ? Do you
> know it ? Where can I find it ?

What you're probably talking about is xkeycaps. You can get source here:
http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

I'm sure Mandrake has a package.

> i) Is there a tutorial of xmodmap ?

Only `man xmodmap`.

> j) Where are the x-doc.org files ? where is http://www.tsu.ru/~pascal/en/ ?

I don't understand what you mean here.

> Notice :
> Macintosh mouse is a single button, so F11 and F12 keys are used to
> emulated a 3 button mouse. Perhaps this mechanism brakes the alt
> modifier of my keyboard ? How can I chack this idea ?

I really doubt that this is the problem, but I'm not sure how to check this
idea.

Frank