[XFree86] Re: RedHat 9-video-"X" failure on Matrox-G450

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Jim G. wrote:

>Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:56:13 -0700
>From: Jim G. <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Cc: "Corn, Scott" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, me_jimdat <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RedHat 9-video-"X" failure on Matrox-G450
>
>After a "good" completion of the install, during the first boot attempt:
>
>1)  X is never able to start.
>2)  An endless loop error messages and attempted recoveries then follows.
>3)  No other modes or solutions are offered, system is useless.
>
>Here (below) is the quoted error log file:
>/var/log/XFree86.0.log
[SNIP]
>(II) Loader running on linux
>(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
>(WW) Warning, couldn't open module bitmap
>(II) UnloadModule: "bitmap"
>(EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
>(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
>(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
>(II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> compiled for 4.3.0, module version = 1.0.0
> ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.6
>
>Fatal server error:
>Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

Your OS installation is corrupt most likely.  The modules are
provided in the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory, and that is
where the X server looks for them by default.  Your log file
shows that that is where it is looking for them, and it isn't
finding them.  So somehow your modules are either deleted, or
corrupted.

You mention above that this is right after a fresh installation,
which makes me wonder if your hard disk is damaged.  It's also
possible that DMA on your disks are preventing the disks from
working correctly.

You might want to try the Red Hat shrike-list mailing list
instead, as this is more of a hardware problem, or problem
requiring special handling of your system perhaps.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris