[XFree86] Problems rendering fonts in some apps

Hi,
I am using redhat 7.3 and I just recently updated to Ximian Desktop 2. I basically, did an 'update
everything'. I am experiencing some problems getting smooth rendering of fonts with some apps like
'Opera (7.11)' and gcvs. The weird problem is that with Opera the problem getting grainy font
rendering is happening only with the Menubar text but rest all fonts appear as expected. The other
apps like Evolution, galeon etc seem to work fine with selected fonts like 'Monotype' or any other
TrueType fonts. I am not sure why I am observing this behavior with these specific apps. I am
running X on a  Dell Inspiron 7000 machine with ATI Mach 64 display adapter. Any help would be
most appreciated since I need to use those apps frequently and they look ugly to put it mildly
with the kind of font rendering i am getting. I could send a snapshot of my desktop to make the
problem more clear if it might help anyone.

Thanks in advance.
Shantanu Gogate.