Re: TWM: truetype support

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Eeri Kask wrote:

in order to reach broader audience I'll post my recent twm activities
besides  xorg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  here as well (assuming these
audiences do not 100% cover)... :-)

For twm users here are two patchsets introducing truetype font support
into twm in two steps.

(1) twm-1.0.3-MyFont_ChangeGC.tgz cleans up some bitmap font rendering
infrastructure as a preparatory step.

(2) twm-1.0.3-TWM_USE_XFT.tgz then applied ontop introduces truetype
font support enclosed in "#ifdef TWM_USE_XFT".

So compile with  -DTWM_USE_XFT  -I/usr/include/freetype2  -lXft

Then insert

TitleFont	"sans-9"
MenuFont	"sans-9"
IconFont	"sans-9:bold"
IconManagerFont	"sans-9"
ResizeFont	"sans-10:bold"

into .twmrc and have fun!

How it looks like you can see at

   www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ek1/TheGIMP-screenshot.png

(Opacity visible there is not yet finished and present here.)

Step (1) actually does nothing in appearance and in speed, but as
intended, all bugs, if any, should come in here.

Step (2) then effectively only replaces XmbDrawString() by
XftDrawString8() for text rendering in util.c so any performance or
memory footprint issues coming up disclose problems hopefully only in xft.

I tried to keep the "Hamming distance" to the original xorg twm-1.0.3
source code minimal, i.e. touch as few code lines as possible.

If you are a twm user, please test it; what do you think? :-)

I have refit this to our current source. However, I don't think the default fonts `twm` uses should be changed as doing so will surprise many users. It appears that restoring the previous defaults would only require additional changes to InitVariables() in twm.c and GetFont() in util.c.

Comments?

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@xxxxxxxxxxx         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |