Re: driver how-to?

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Zakharov Mikhail wrote:

Hi, everybody!

I'm going to port very old Western Digital driver from Xfree86 3.3.6
back to 4.6.x just to start my old laptop in 640x480x256 mode. I think
nobody then me interested in this driver, so it's just for fun,
nevertheless I need some guide lines to start development, for example,
how-to's of writing generic driver for Xfree86, directory hierarchy and
so on. Can somebody turn my head to the right side?

Best regards,
Mikhail

Would it happen to be for the WD90C24? Please? That's what's in my ThinkPad 750P, and I asked about it a while back. There was one or two very helpful comments that I think boiled down to these:

1. Get the new design document, read it, understand how things go.
2. Get your development environment set up.
3. Get the old source and hack away.

Too bad work and home gets in the way of programming more. I like being close to the silicon.

Anyway, search the recent archives for that chip, or wait to see what other kindly voice chirps in.

Keep us posted, and I'm happy to help test!

Chris