Re: Questions about XAA

cckuo wrote:

>Dear X friends:
>I got some questions about behaviors about XAA.
>Below are the log messages I excerpted from the log file as I attached:
>(II) VIA(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
>	8x8 color pattern filled rectangles
>	Screen to Screen color expansion
>	Image Writes
>	Offscreen Pixmaps
>****	Setting up tile and stipple cache:
>		6 128x128 slots
>		32 8x8 color pattern slots
>The messages below the **** was printed from XAAInitPixmapCache in
>xaaPCache.c by clipping the areas passed from FBManager. And here comes my
>question:
>1) How does XAA determine the size and # of tile and stipple cache for a
>given graphics controller?

Let's say your video memory is 1024x1024, a once common size.  You'll
probably run your monitor at 1024x768.  That leaves a 1024x256 chunk of
memory available for other things, such as offscreen bitmaps and tile
caches.  XAA will try to carve that up into pieces as large as possible,
as squares, in powers of 2.  In your case, there was probably an area
reserved at the end of the buffer for the cursor image that made it
impossible to use all 256 rows, so it fell back to 128x128.

>  2)  Are there any graphic controllers with fixed features, etc., built
>directly into XAA?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Almost every driver in XFree86 has XAA
"handlers" for the common operations, like screen-to-screen copy, text,
mono-to-color expansion, memory-to-screen copy, and so on.  There is no
standard method of implementing these accelerations, so the only way for
XAA to use them is to have code in the driver.

>  3)  Is there anyway to specifically set the slot sizes and # of slots for
>a given graphics controller? I mean is there options I can set in my
>configure file or the only way I can do is to modify the source code of
>frame buffer manager?

No.  There's really no point.  XAA knows what it needs, and it
suballocates as required.  What would you hope to gain?

By the way, you have the full source code available to you.  You can
just look this up.

--
Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.