Re: [XFree86] Question about XFree86 4.5.99.901 snapshot

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 07:53:41AM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:
>David Dawes wrote:

>>> Autoconfigure works by loading a bunch of drivers, using the one
>>> that proves to be the best choice, and unloading the others.
>>>
>>> The problem is that fbdev registers that it needs fbdevhw.  When
>>> it is unloaded it doesn't notify the loader that fbdevhw is no
>>> longer needed.  Since the nv driver refers to fbdevhw (even though
>>> it isn't using it), these references are being reported as fatal
>>> unresolved symbols.
>>>
>>> The new loader now invalidates symbol references to modules that
>>> have been unloaded.  To fix this problem, the fbdev module (and all
>>> modules, really) needs to be modified to register its fbdevhw
>>> requirements as being specific to itself so that those requirements
>>> get removed when it is unloaded.
>>>
>>> I'll take a look at doing this, and post a patch.
>>>
>>> Tom, thanks for reporting the problem!
>>>

>> The attached patch should fix this problem.
>>
>> David
>>
>Yep, that patch worked.  *Both* "-autoconfig" and "-configure" work just
>fine.  :)

I've just committed some changes that improve the handling of module
requirements, and have modified all modules to make use of this.  Along
the way I found several bugs that showed up as a result of this and of
the fact that modules can now be unloaded and reloaded cleanly.  I
have also removed some workarounds for the old loader (mis)behaviour,
and plan to remove some more after further testing.

I expect that there will be more problems showing up that either were
masked in the past, or come from code that relied on the old loader
behaviour.  Please report problems and/or new warnings/errors in the log
file here and I'll follow them up.

David