Re: copying with the middle mouse button

Clemens Zeidler wrote:

> Hi,
> could anybody tell me how this work? I mean how does the x-server
> know  which text is selected? Must every
> application sent a message to the xserver that something is selected?
> Or sent the xserver a copy command to the active application when a
> mouse  button is released?

The burden is entirely on the application to decide what gets selected
and when it gets updated.  Yes, the app has to send a message to the
server with the selection.  The clipboard process is more complicated in
X than it is in Windows.

If you want to read about it, chapter 10.3 of volume I of the old
O'Reilly books on Xlib describe the process.   You can read about
XSetSelectionOwner and XConvertSelection, and the SelectionNotify event.

--
Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.