Re: portrait mode how to

If you have a monitor that is natively portrait or will support a
portrait mode, then you can just define a 768x1024 modeline and
assuming the driver doesn't rely on the bios (since I doubt any bios
will have a mode like that defined) it will set the mode.  However, if
the monitor you are trying to use is natively landscape and only
supports landscape modes, then you will need to use rotation.  None of
the Xorg servers support xrandr rotation in 6.8.x, however, several of
the drivers have a driver specific "rotate" option that will provide
non-accelerated rotation.

Alex