Re: Running XFree86 as a user

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 08:49 pm, Jim Harford wrote:
> Hi,
> I just installed FreeBSD 4.6 (from CD distribution set) and used the
> built-in installer to install XFree86 version 4.2.0.1.  After fighting with
> the configuration options for my video card, I got it working if I invoke
> startx from the root.  However, the only way I could find to run startx
> from a user account was to change the SUID bit on the file
> /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  Is this the best way to do this?  Am I opening
> myself up to some security problem?  I am relatively new to unix, is the
> normal stuff that any software installation involves?
>
> Jim Harford

If it works like Linux put this in the XF86Config file usually in /etc/X11;

Section
	Mode 0666
EndSection

--
Registered Linux User - 193414
Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

J. Finnegan, USC.
"Text processing has made it possible to right-justify any idea, even one
which cannot be justified on any other grounds."