Re: Re: CMI8738 + Xfree86

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Mr. Rafael Cheng wrote:

>Just realized one more thing... when I logged in x
>windows as root, I gained some sound.  So this
>make me think that there must be a directory where
>its permissions is only for root.  Does anyone
>know which directory this may be?

Hi Rafael,

It may be that the permissions for the sound-device are set so that it
is accessible only by root.  Even if that is the case your distribution
may use a console-permissions model in which users that are logged into
the console are allowed to access the devices.  If this is the case you
will have a file somewhere in /etc that deals with console permissions
(possibly /etc/security/console.perms, but this is distribution specific
AFAIK).  I think you should ask this question on a mailing list specific
to your distribution rather than on this list which deals only with
XFree86 setup.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley