Re: Please help: refresh rate too high in RH8 generated

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Lance Birtcil wrote:

> I've installed RedHat 8 on my machine and am running into a bit of a
> problem with the xserver.  I'm trying to run my monitor, a Viewsonic
> G810, at 1600x1200 but something (xserver ??) keeps insisting on using a
> refresh rate of 85.2 Hz, higher than that which my monitor supports at
> that resolution.  Here are some details:
>
> >From Viewsonic's site, g810 characteristics:
>   Horizontal refresh range: 30 - 97 kHz, Vertical refresh range: 50 -
> 180 Hz
>
> What I've tried: First, I used the Redhat setup configuration.  When I

Does this mean that you ran the redhat-config-xfree86 tool from the
commandline as root?  That tool enables you to enter the ranges and to
select the resolution and it will calculate the max acceptable modelines.

> restarted after install, I got the black screen of death.  Then I ran
> /etc/X11/bin/xf86config manually and set the ranges above, restarted the

This is not the Red Hat preferred configuration tool for XFree86.

[snip]

> I know that the monitor will do 1600x1200 @ 76Hz, but for the life of
> me, I cannot find where (actually how) to explicitly set vertical
> refresh.  I believe the rate based on the numbers entered in the file at

IIRC, there are a set of preset VESA modes built-in to the XFree86.  If
your desired modes are in anyway determined to be incorrect then they will
be used to override the XF86Config

[snip]

What does "ddcprobe" return?

P.s you could try asking on the redhat-xfree86-list where Mike A. Harris
the Red Hat XFree86 maintainer hangs out.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley

p.s.  please set your mail client to wrap the lines at <=72 characters as
your post is unreadable (goes off screen) unless it is reformatted (I've
done that in the includes to this reply).  You're more likely to get
answers if people can read your mail, and they're more likely to be
polite! ;-)