NVIDIA GeForce MX doesn't work on RH 7.2

Matthew:

There IS something you can do about it.  I ran into the very same
problem as you: the default drivers provided by RH 7.2, 7.3, AND 8.0
don't work on the GeForce card.  I am using the GeForce4 440 Go with
64MB RAM; it, too, has a TV-out port.

For starters, you'll find full NVIDIA documentation on how to configure
the card by downloading the documentation:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-3123/NVLinuxR25Notes_3123.pdf

In order to get you started quickly, there are a few things you must do:

	1. Download the latest drivers from NVIDIA.  There are two of
them, the kernel-specific driver and the NVIDIA GLX-specific driver.

		RH 7.2 kernel driver (i686 architecture, non-SMP)
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-3123/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.rh
72up.i686.rpm

		NVIDIA GLX driver
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-3123/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.
rpm

	2. Install them in this order:
		a. First, the kernel-specific driver:
			rpm -i NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.rh72up.i686.rpm
		b. Second, the NVIDIA-specific GLX driver:
			rpm -i NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm

	3. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and replace the driver line that
has "nv" (or whatever it is) with "NVDRIVER".  Or install a new
XF86Config-4.  If you choose to modify the XF86Config-4 file and update
the driver, then you'll at least have a running X where you can begin to
customize as you see fit.  However, then you'll have to figure out how
to use the TV-out port and customize that.

I am currently using a Dell laptop but since we're both using virtually
the same video card, I think you can get away with using this link to
copy down a better XF86Config-4 file:
		http://www3.sympatico.ca/chouston1/XF86Config-4.Cory

	    Cory, the man who created this XF86Config-4, wrote it using
all the features of the graphic card.  All the essentials are there, as
well.  He also included X startup profiles so he could specify how he
wanted X to run when he started it by providing a command line switch to
specify a given profile (home, office, TV).

Be aware, that using the NVIDIA card on your TV, both in Windows and
Linux, you MUST change your screen resolution to 800x600 because that's
what gets mirrored through the TV-out port.  If you don't change the
base screen's resolution, then you'll find yourself trying to "pan" the
TV screen around until the data you want is mirrored properly on the TV.
My friends and I went through a LOT of trouble trying to get the damn
thing to work using my default screen size (1600x1200) and making it
work on the TV, which only showed an 800x600 "slice" of the screen that
was VERY difficult to use (we never did get it right).  But, by changing
the screen resolution to 800x600 and letting the TV-out "mirror" this
setting, it made watching our DVDs perfect!

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to write.

Enjoy!

Dave