Mirrored display in X

Hi,

I have a R505 Vaio laptop with a i830 chipset and am trying to have X display
on an external screen as well as on my LCD panel.
Right now I managed to have the display on both if the external monitor is
plugged when I boot (this is actually automatic) but my external display
frequency is 60Hz, which is a real pain on a 21".
I haven't figured out a way to raise the external display frequency (played
around with the XF86Config file but did not manage to get anything better)
and the i830 chipset does not have the "crt_screen" option such as ATI.

Has anybody figured out a way to have a decent frequency on an external
display? (and optimally, a higher resolution, because my LCD panel is
1024x768, which is pretty big on a 21")

Thanks,
Gabriel.