Re: i845 chipset

> I'm sure that this is an old topic by now, but I am still
unable to make X
> work on my Dell 4500S.  What I have done (or attempted to
do):
> Upgrade the kernel to 2.4.19 with patch 2.4.20pre8
> I have downloaded the main trunk from CVS and compiled it.
> Compiled the i830 driver as described at
> http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/845driver.html (though I'm
not sure that it
> worked)
>
> I can't seem to get my system to recognize the i830 (or
i845 which I am
> guessing are similar).  Any links to tutorials that might
be useful will be
> appreciated.

I am afraid I am having the same problem right now on
a Dell GX260 with i845 chipset.

I installed RedHat 8.0 but still not working. RedHat says
during install boot "Intel i845 driver" but would not start
Graphical install screen. A text based install and then
startx gives an error like "Could not Display Modes" or
something like that. But kills X not.

I found the following sites in earlier posts, mayby you
found them already
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel845g/linux.htm
Old discussion at: