OpenGL Hardware Accel (DRI) and MacOS X

I'm wondering where I can read about support for OpenGL in hardware under
MacOS X.  I have XFree86 4.2.0 running under MacOS X 10.2 and the OpenGL
support works great, but I don't think it's utilizing the 3d card (a Rage
128 Pro) in my mac.  I can see tearing on refresh, for instance.   Running
glxinfo seems to confirm this:

direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Is this being worked on?  Where can I get more information?

How difficult would it be to get an X GL app to work with the Cocoa GL
framework?  I don't mean porting the X stuff, just popping up a Cocoa
window for the GL bits.

If there is a more appropriate place to ask this question, please let me
know,

Thanks very much for all the excellent hard work on getting X on OS X.
It's fantastic and crazy that I have 5 different windowing environments
running on the same machine at the same time (Classic, Carbon, Cocoa, Java,
X).

-c

[ Christopher Mason    <cmason@cmason.com>   http://www.cmason.com/ ]
[ "Please place your whole head in front of the shotgun." -D. Leary ]