Re: Mouse - laptop switching

Hi,

> I've got a laptop with a touch pad and an USB mouse.
> I would like to know if it is possible to configure xfree86 so as to use
> USB mouse when it is plugged
> and touch pad when USB mouse is not plugged.

X support multiple pointers (pointers is the lingo term of mouse here).
You can do a few work in the XF86Config, it is simple, let's look at the seqment,

# You touch pad is defined here
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "laptopMouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "CorePointer"            << ---- Add this line
    Option      "Protocol"      "PS/2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "usbMouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents"        "true"            << ---- Add this line
    Option      "Protocol"      "imps/2"
EndSection

The two addition line will tell X that, the first pointer (laptopMouse) is the
primary pointer device, and the 'usbMouse' is the additional. And X will deliver all event from "usbMouse" to client as if it was delivered by Core pointer.

Set this file and restart X, you will than able to use both mouse.

Zenith