XFree86 4.2.0 configuration questions

I am attempting to install XFree86 4.2.0 onto my Linux system at
home and i have run into some problems that i do not know how to
solve.

1)  When i run 'XFree86 -configure' the program tells me that the glide
    library is missing.  I am running a GeForce2 MX400 AGP graphics
    accelerator.  Do i need to resolve this problem?  If so, where do i
    get the library files i need?

2)  When trying to test the configuration of XFree86 using the command
    'XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new', the program aborts and
    tells me that it cannot detect my mouse.
    The specs of my mouse are as follows:
    Logitech
    USB
    Optical
    2 primary buttons
    1 wheel

    When i add the line 'Option "Protocol" "usb"' to the XF86Config.new
    file, the program tells me that this is not a valid protocol.

3)  The last problem is the most frustrating.  Currently, i can only
    boot linux in Single User mode.  This is because whenever i try
    another style, the loading process reaches the X font server and
    stalls indefinitely.

If there is any way you can help me, or get this message to someone
who can; i would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Josh Schlicker