restoring gnome...

In an effort to get X up and running on a new pc with a Rage 128 type
card, I downloaded and installed XFree86 4.2.0.  It worked great.  I'm
sure there is more tweaking that can be done, but that is for another
rainy day.  Right now I just want the default gnome window manager and
interface to be restored to the the Red Hat 7.1 standard.  After
installing the new X, it comes up in a junky twm manager.  I know I
could customize it to make it look nice, but I just want to start with
gnome.

Anyone know how?  After installing 4.2.0, I used Xconfigurator to
configure the system.  At the end when it starts X to try out the
settings, the default RH Gnome interface came up.  But then when I
rebooted the machine the dreaded twm was back.

Anyone???

Regards,
Matt