Intel 82845G/GL Chip Set

Hi,

With  helpful pointers  from  the folks  at  Intel, I  have the  Intel
82845G/GL chip set running under Linux on a Dell Optiplex GX260.

Here is approximately what I did.

I started with a RedHat 7.3 system installed.

Then I downloaded the 2.4.19 kernel from ftp.kernel.us.org and applied
the  patch-2.4.20-pre7  to that  kernel.   I  compiled  the kernel  to
include among other things, the i810 and i830 drivers.

After getting the new kernel to run, I downloaded the latest XFree86
from its CVS repository.  See the notes at:

http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/#repository

I  checked  out  and built  the  xc  tree.   Installed that.   I  also
installed  libpng-1.2.4   and  zlib-1.1.4.   There   were  some  minor
compilation bugs in the redglass cursor part of the XFREE86 tree which
I had  to build  manually.  These  errors surfaced when  I did  a make
install in the xc tree.  But after I had a solid build, I installed it
and am currently running successfully with that combination.

Use xf86config to load the drivers for the chip set.

Hope this helps someone else.

Marc