How to avoid expansion to full screen resolution

I have a Compaq Presario 2700 Laptop, on which I use Linux (2.4.18) and
XFree86 (4.2) with a resolution of 1400x1050. Sometimes I have to use a
lower resolution (usually 1024x768, e.g. to connect a video projector), in
which case the laptop expands the picture to the full display resolution.
This looks very clunky, and I am trying to turn off this automatic
expansion. I would rather have a 1024x768 rectangle in the center of the
display.

I haven't found anything related in the BIOS, and there isn't a hotkey for
this either. Under Windows XP, such an option is hidden in the 'ATI' tab
of the display control panel, so I figured there may be a similar option
for the ATI driver of XF86. The graphics chip is a ATI Radeon M6.

It would be great is someone on this list could point me into the right
direction.

Thanks,

  Lutz