RE: Configuring X

Sorry if I was not clear, /etc/X11/X IS a symlink to the X server
assuming that -as it should be in RH 7.3- both X 4.2.0 and X 3.3.6 have been installed, switching
from the one to the other only implies changing /etc/X11/X from a symlink to the one to a symlink
to the other, nothing should be reinstalled, uninstalled or whatever...
When you switch /etc/X11/X from X 4.2.0 to X 3.3.6 then automatically X will use XF86Config
instead of XF86Config-4

I am afraid by reinstalling X 4.2 you ran into the well known glide problem, just look in the
archives it has surfaced rather often and the solution has been mentioned as many times. Having
had the luck of escaping it I cannot help you there.

X 3.3.6 is not obsolete for those cards which are not supported by X 4.x.x and even recommended
for some of the *not so old* cards which don't have acceleration in X 4.x.x but have it in 3.3.6!
newer versions of kde (at least 2.2) and gnome run on 3.3.6 without problems.
Note I don't know whether that could help but
in 3.3.6 the *universal* server is XF86_SVGA and is accelerated
in 4.x.x the *universal* driver (note the difference: not "server") is vesa and is regretably not
accelerated.
Possibly trying one of these may work
Lionel