Fwd: Is Dumpkeymap (and the .keymapping file) part of XFree?

PS: I should have mentioned that I use Mandrake 7.2 and 8.2, and, IIRC,
XFree 3.3.6 in both cases -- I see no evidence of a .keymapping file,
but that may just mean that none has been defined so far.

Randy Kramer

I found a man page on dumpkeymap
(http://www.xfree86.org/current/dumpkeymap.1.html) (from
http://www.xfree86.org/current/manindex1.html).

"dumpkeymap prints a textual representation of each Apple/NeXT
.keymapping file mentioned on the command-line."

Reading more of the man page, it appears that the Apple/NeXT keymap
files support assigning strings to keys so as to create what I call
keyboard macros (you press one key and several (a whole string) get
sent to the application.

Is this keymapping facility unique to Apple/NeXT (XDarwin??) or is it
also part of XFree?  If so, is it present in both 3.3.6 and more recent
versions?

Is there documentation aimed more specifically at XFree rather than
Apple/Next?  Can this facility be used to create keyboard macros?

Randy Kramer