Rage 128 Pro and kdm colours problem

Hi!
 I use:
Linux 2.4.19 (with the DRM modules downloaded from http://dri.sourceforge.net)
Ati Rage 128 Pro
XFree86 4.2.0
KDE 3.0.1

When I boot the PC it starts with the X and the kdm login window. The problem
is that the window is light yellow instead of gray. If I restart the X server
the colour is right. Inside the session the colours (24 bits) are right.
I have disabled the warning before a logout from a KDE session and, when I come
back to the login screen, It is almost completely black: only the fields for
login and password and the fields with users icon are white. If I restart the X
server the colours are right.

If I boot the PC without the X server, login as root, and give an init 4 (it is
Slackware) command, the X server starts without any colour problem (which
appear again at the logout from the KDE session).

Probably the two following question are stupid, but I have tried almost
everything (a part from giving up with GNU/Linux :-)

1) I have compiled a monolithic kernel. Should I compile the AGP, DRM or Rage
128 support as modules?
2) The kernel hasn't got any support for plug and play, because I don't think
it is needed by the video card. Am I right?

Thank you very much

Alessio Medici