Re: Problem with running Xfree86

Thanks for the tip! I tried this, and got XDarwin running. But now,
I am not able to open the DISPLAY when I ssh into a remote system and try
to open an X-application from there, even if I explicitly set the DISPLAY
variable. However, I am able to open X-apps (eg. xterm) locally on my
machine. Wierd ?!

Has anyone had a similar experience with XFree86 on Jaguar, or know of a
fix?

-Kavitha

On 10 Sep 2002, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 17:00, Kavitha Venkatesan wrote:
>
> > I just installed Xfree86 on my new Mac OS 10.2 system using the
> > pre-compiled binaries for Darwin-ppc-5.x availabe on the xfree86.org ftp
> > site. I logged in as 'root' and ran the installation script as follows:
> > %sh Xinstall.sh
>
> The problem is that you are on Jaguar, which is Darwin 6, and they
> changed some stuff around in libSystem that breaks some binary
> compatibility.
>
> Try getting the latest XFree86 binaries from the XonX project:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=18034

Kavitha Venkatesan
		Graduate Student, Bioinformatics Program
Biomolecular Engineering Research Center       The Hansen Lab
36 Cummington Street                      &    Rm 612, 44, Cummington St.
Boston University  Boston, MA 02215            Boston University
Tel : 617-353-7132			       Tel : 617-353-8731